Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Garden Club have been busy preparing and planting some of the beds at the allotment. Cabbages and Broccoli are in as are Runner Beans, French Beans and Spring Onions.As you can see our Gooseberries and Strawberries are beginning to ripen.

Thursday, 24 April 2014

 Easter at the Allotment

A Successful Team


Lots of staff and helpers came to work on the new allotment during the holiday.Luckily the sun shone and with alot of hard work we completed our tasks.

Building the Fruit Cage

It took a while to work out the instructions for the
fruit cage but with a team effort it was complete in 3 hours.

Luckily we had a tall helper!

The allotment so far
After 5 hours all the raised beds were made and in place, the first digging was complete and the fruit cage was in place. Now we need to double dig the new beds before we start to plant some of our seedlings and sow seeds directly into the ground. We can't wait to get going.

Saturday, 5 April 2014

First plants in!

 We had to double dig the beds to prepare the soil for planting, adding air and breaking down the hard clumps. We then added manure to fertilise the soil.
When the beds were ready we started to plant. We had to dig the hole to the right depth, fork the soil in the hole to make sure the roots can grow properly and then added some compost to help add nutrients. Finally, we put the plants in, pushed the soil down so they are secure and watered them.
We now have rhubarb, strawberries, gooseberry bushes, red currents and black currents.

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Beds marked out and weeding in progress! Almost time to plant rhubarb, strawberries and fruit bushes - hopefully before the Easter holidays.

Our Progress

Our Progress at the allotment

(By Shayaan)

Day 1: 

Looking at this photo, we can see that this allotment had a lot of work to do to make it sutiable for a kitchen garden. However, the first task would be weeding. Before looking at the second day, weeds will be explained. Weeds are plants which stop the growth of other plants around it. Therefore, we would need to get rid of these weeds if we wanted to grow a plant like tomato.

 Day 2:

Today, we had to get rid of any remaining weeds from last week, and then plot, using a measuring tape and stake (a stick which is placed into the ground to mark out a section of a garden) on every side of the plot. This would then make it easier for us to figure out where to plant the vegtables when it comes to it.

Due to the fact that we were short on tape measures, we used a string to measure one metre. At the end of the day, the string turned out to be more helpful than maybe a stick would be!  




Friday, 28 March 2014

Moving the beds

A few of the children have been doing some heavy duty work, moving some of the flower beds next to Navy class so they can plant their own plants and flowers.


We've been doing the weeding!